THE TOURNAMENT: ATP & WTA GRAND SLAM Australian Open 2017
From 01/16 to 01/29
Money prize: 50,000,000 (ATP+WTA)
Surface: Hard Outdoor
Location: Melbourne Park. Melbourne Victoria 3001 Australia.
How to get: Detailed info on Melbourne Park Site
Previous Winners: 2016 Novak Djokovic/Angelique Kerber – 2015 Novak Djokovic/Serena Williams – 2014 Stanislas Wawrinka/Na Li – 2013 Novak Djokovic/Victoria Azarenka – 2012 Novak Djokovic/Victoria Azarenka – 2011 Novak Djokovic/Kim Clijsters – 2010 Roger Federer/Serena Williams
ATP Entry List: Andy Murray (Gbr) – Novak Djokovic (Srb) – Milos Raonic (Can) – Stan Wawrinka (Sui) – Kei Nishikori (Jpn) – Marin Cilic (Cro) – Gael Monfils (Fra) – Dominic Thiem (Aut) – Rafael Nadal (Esp) – Tomas Berdych (Cze)
WTA Entry List: Angelique Kerber (Ger) – Serena Williams (Usa) – Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol) – Simona Halep (Rou) – Dominika Cibulkova (Svk) – Karolyna Plyskova (Cze) – Garbine Muguruza (Esp) – Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus) – Johanna Konta (Gbr) – Carla Suarez Navarro (Esp)
THE TOWN: Melbourne is Australia’s second largest city, and the capital of the south-eastern state of Victoria, located at the head of Port Phillip Bay. It’s cultural capital, with Victorian-era architecture, extensive shopping, museums, galleries, theatres, and large parks and gardens. Many of its 4 million residents are both multicultural and sports-mad. Melbourne continues to be a magnet for migrants from all over the world, and consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities.
For Lonely Planet:”Stylish, arty Melbourne is a city that’s both dynamic and cosmopolitan, and proud of its place as Australia’s cultural capital. Its stately Gold Rush–era architecture and a multicultural make-up reflect the city’s recent history, while edgy street art, top museums and sticky-carpeted band venues point to its present-day personality.Melbourne is best experienced as a local would, with its character largely reliant upon its collection of inner-city neighbourhoods. Despite a long-standing north–south divide (flashy St Kilda versus hipster Fitzroy), there’s a coolness about its bars, cafes, restaurants, festivals and people that transcends the borders. The city centre has meanwhile reinvented itself with chic laneway eateries and rooftop bars opening in former industrial buildings.”
TOP 3 ATTRACTIONS:
- Melbourne Royal Botanic Gardens
- Port Campbell National Park
- Eureka Skydeck 89
BEST PLACES TO STAY:
- The Glenferrie Hotel Hawthorn. Boutique *** hotel rated 8.8 on Booking. Great location at just 2 minutes walking from Glenferrie Train Station and 10 minutes driving from Melbourne Park. It features a bar, a restaurant and free parking. A 36 mq2 king room costs 120$ per night with free wifi included.
- Wyndham Hotel Melbourne. Wonderful **** hotel located in the real heart of Melbourne. Rated 9.1 on Booking, it features a rooftop heated pool, a fitness centre and a library and offers deluxe 44 mq2 apartments with fully equipped kitchenette at just 152$ per night.
- The Langham Melbourne. Luxury ***** hotel located on the banks of the Yarra River, The Langham Melbourne features an indoor swimming pool with views out over the city. The elegant interior includes a grand marble staircase, cascading fountains and magnificent chandeliers.. Price for a superior king room of 35 mq2 is 389$ with breakfast and free wifi included. Rated 9.3 on Booking.
Enjoy the first Major event of the year!!!!