THE TOURNAMENT: ATP 500 ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament
First edition: 1974
From 02/13 to 02/19
Money prize: $ 1,854,365
Surface: Hard Indoor
Location: Ahoy Arena Rotterdam – Ahoyweg 10, 3084 BA Rotterdam, Netherlands
How to get: Rotterdam Ahoy is easy to get to by bus, tube and train; infact it is a brief 5-minute walk away from the Zuidplein tube station and bus stop. Besides Ahoy is less than an hour away from Schiphol Amsterdam Airport and Rotterdam The Hague Airport. From both airports you can travel to Ahoy quickly and comfortably on public transport and by car. The complex includes a car park which offers space to 2.000 vehicles.
Recent Past Winners: 2016 Martin Klizan – 2015 Stan Wawrinka – 2014 Tomas Berdych – 2013 Juan Martin del Potrò – 2012 Roger Federer – 2011/2010 Robin Soderling
Top Seeded Players: Stan Wawrinka (Sui) – Marin Cilic (Cro) – Dominic Thiem (Aut) – Rafa Nadal (Esp) – Tomas Berdych (Cze) – David Goffin (Bel) – Jo Wilfried Tsonga (Fra) – Roberto Bautista Agut (Esp) – Lucas Pouille (Fra) – Grigor Dimitrov (Bul)
THE TOWN: Rotterdam is a city in the Dutch province of South-Holland. Its municipality is the second largest in the country (behind Amsterdam), with a population of approximately 601,300 people and over 2.9 million inhabitants in its metropolitan area. The port of Rotterdam is the largest in Europe and the fourth biggest port in the world. Rotterdam is known as a city of architecture. A few square kilometres of the city centre offers a complete overview of what the twentieth century has produced in terms of modern architecture. Lonely Planet defines this town ‘inspiring and innovative’ and writes about it: “Futuristic architecture, inspired local initiatives such as inner-city canal surfing, a proliferation of art, and a surge of drinking, dining and nightlife venues make Rotterdam one of Europe’s most exhilarating cities right now. The Netherlands’ second-largest metropolis has a diverse, multiethnic community, an absorbing maritime tradition centred on Europe’s busiest port, and a wealth of top-class museums. Rotterdam is a veritable open-air gallery of modern, postmodern and contemporary construction. It’s a remarkable feat for a city largely razed to the ground by WWII bombers. Rebuilding has continued unabated ever since with ingenuity and vision. Split by the vast Nieuwe Maas shipping channel, Rotterdam is crossed by a series of tunnels and bridges, notably the dramatic Erasmusbrug – the swooping white cable-stayed bridge dubbed de Zwaan (the Swan). On the north side of the water, the city centre is easily strolled.“
ROTTERDAM’S TOP 3 ATTRACTIONS:
- Markthal (Market Hall) Rotterdam
- Erasmus Bridge
- Kijk-Kubus (District of Cubic Houses)
BEST PLACES TO STAY:
- Ibis Rotterdam City Centre. Excellent *** hotel, rated 8.7 on Booking, and located in Rotterdam’s real heart very close to all the town’s main attractions (Cubic Houses at 200 mt, Market Hall at 300 mt). This accomodation provides the free wifi in all areas and offers 18 mq2 standard double room from 69€ per night.
- CitizenM Rotterdam. Wonderful **** contemporary hotel located in city centre at just 100 mt from Blaak Station. Guests can enjoy free wifi and movies on demand and a 24/24 canteenM which features sandwiches, warm dishes and draft beers. Rated 9.1 on Booking it offers trendy and futuristic double rooms from 76€ per night.
- Mainport Design Hotel. Exceptional ***** hotel rated 9.1 on Booking.com and directly located on Maas River banks and at just 10 minutes driving to Ahoy Arena. It features free wifi and access to Spa Heaven and Wellness Club, which includes an amazing indoor pool. Guests can enjoy gourmet dishes at Restaurant Down Under and excellent cocktails at On The Rocks bar. Prices? An iconic 36mq2 city room starts from 144€ per night.
Enjoy our 1st suggested TennisTrip in Netherlands!!!