THE TOURNAMENT: ITF WOMEN Caterpillar Burnie International
Date: From 01/30 to 02/05
Money prize: $ 60,000
Surface: Hard Outdoor
Tournament Location: Burnie Tennis Centre – Eastwood Drive, Burnie, TAS 7230, Australia
How to get: Tennis centre is far about 19 km from Burnie Wynyard Airport and about 2,5 km from downtown.
Recent Past Winners: 2015 Daria Gavrilova – 2014 Misa Eguchi – 2013/2012 Olivia Rogowska – 2011 Eugenie Bouchard – 2010 Arina Rodionova
Top 10 Players: Vania King (Usa) – Xinyun Han (Chn) – Taylor Townsend (Usa) – Elizaveta Kulichova (Rus) – Asia Muhammad (Usa) – Anastasia Pivovarova (Rus) – Tamara Zidanesk (Slo) – Barbora Stefkova (Cze) – Jamie Loeb (Usa) – Arina Rodionova (Aus)
ABOUT BURNIE: Burnie is a port city on the north-west coast of Tasmania. Together with nearby Wynyard had an estimated urban population of 26,869 at June 2015. Lonely Planet writes about it: “Long dismissed as Tasmania’s ugly duckling, once-industrial Burnie is busily reinventing itself as a ‘City of Makers’, referring both to its heavy manufacturing past and its present creative flair. The amazing new Makers’ Workshop is Burnie’s showcase tourist attraction and should be your first stop when you visit. Watch also for penguins coming ashore from September or October until February ”
TOP 3 THINGS TO SEE:
- Guide Falls Reserve
- Emu Valley Rhododendron Garden
- Penguins Observation Center
BEST PLACES TO STAY:
- Burnie Ocean View Motel. Very good *** hotel, rated 8.1 on Booking, this hotel is situated just 5 3,5 km from city center, and offers 28 mq2 ocean view studios at 107$ per night with free cancellation, parking and wifi.
- Beach Hotel. Wonderful **** hotel located directly on Burnie seafront, this modern hotel, rated 9.2 on Booking, provides deluxe queen rooms of 15 mq2 at 121$ per night with breakfast, free cancellation, wifi and parking included. Good on site restaurant.
- Ikon Hotel. Amazing ***** hotel located in the real heart of Burnie and set in an iconic landmark building. It provides a free safe underground parking, the continental breakfast and complimentary wifi connection. Rated 9.2 on Booking it offers unique king studios equipped with kitchen at 140$ per night.
Enjoy this new tennis adventure!