THE TOURNAMENT: WTA PREMIER St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy
Date: From 01/30 to 02/05
Money prize: $ 710,900
Surface: Hard Indoor
Tournament Location: SIBUR ARENA – Footbol’naya alleya, 8 St.Petersburg
General information: Sibur Arena is far about 27 km from Pulkovo International Airport and 10 km from Nevsky Prospect. During tournament week there is a free shuttle service connecting Sibur Arena to Metro station “Krestovkiy ostrov”.
Recent Past Winners: 2016 Roberta Vinci
Top 10 Players: Simona Halep (Rou) – Dominika Cibulkova (Svk) – Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus) – Elena Vesnina (Rus) – Venus Williams (Usa) – Roberta Vinci (Ita) – Barbora Strycova (Cze) – Kiki Bertens (Ndl) – Daria Gavrilova (Aus) – Daria Kasaktina (Rus)
St. Petersburg is the second largest russian town after Moscow with its five million inhabitants in 2012. It is considered the most westernized city of Russia as well as its cultural capital. It hosts The Hermitage, the largest art museum of the world. The Historic Centre and related group of monuments constitute a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lonely Planet’s writer Tom Masters says: “There is something about St Petersburg that gets under your skin. Despite preferring Moscow when I first came to Russia almost two decades ago, St Petersburg lingered; its colours and incredible light stayed with me, its history haunted me. When I came to live in Russia in 2000, I didn’t hesitate in choosing St Petersburg. Today what excites me about the city is the growing underground art and music scene, the hedonistic atmosphere and the sense that great things are once again happening here. The city has emerged from Moscow’s shadow and will, I hope, show you a very different side to modern Russia”. For Tripadvisor St.Petersburg will be one of the top 25 world destination in 2016.
TOP FIVE THINGS TO SEE IN ST.PETERSBURG:
- Winter Palace and Hermitage
- Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
- Nevsky Prospect
- Palace Square
- St. Petersburg’s Palace Bridge
BEST PLACES TO STAY:
- Hotel Park Krestovskiy. Simple *** hotel which represents the best solution for who want to stay close to tennis action. A double room costs 50$ per night and the free parking and wifi are included. Great value for money.
- Pushka Inn Hotel. Really incredible **** hotel just 1 minute walking from Palace Square, rated 9.5 on Booking. A simple standard double room is already wonderfully furnished. Prices? From 100$ per night breakfast included.
- Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St.Petersburg. Once in a lifetime luxurious ***** hotel in the heart of Old Town. Rated 9.4 on Booking, this hotel offers rooms inspired to russian imperial style. A 40 mq2 superior double room costs 353$ with free wifi and parking included.
Enjoy a fantastic town and great tennis!