THE TOURNAMENT: ATP ST. PETERSBURG OPEN
Date: From 19/9 to 25/9
Money prize: $ 986,380
Surface: Hard Indoor
Tournament Location: SIBUR ARENA – Footbol’naya alleya, 8 St.Petersburg
General information: Sibur Arena is far about 27 km from Pulkovo International Airport and 10 km from Nevsky Prospect.
Recent Past Winners: 2015 Milos Raonic – 2014 not held – 2013 Ernests Gulbis – 2012 Martin Klizan – 2011 Marin Cilic
Top 10 Players: Stanislas Wawrinka (Svi) – Milos Raonic (Can) – Tomas Berdych (Cek) – Roberto Bautista Agut (Esp) – Alexander Zverev (Ger) – Albert Ramos (Esp) – Victor Troicki (Srb) – Joao Sousa (Por) – Janko Tipsarevic (Srb) – Paolo Lorenzi (Ita)
St. Petersburg is the second largest russian town after Moscow with its five million inhabitants in 2012. It is considered the most westernized city of Russia as well as its cultural capital. It hosts The Hermitage, the largest art museum of the world. The Historic Centre and related group of monuments constitute a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lonely Planet’s writer Tom Masters says: “There is something about St Petersburg that gets under your skin. Despite preferring Moscow when I first came to Russia almost two decades ago, St Petersburg lingered; its colours and incredible light stayed with me, its history haunted me. When I came to live in Russia in 2000, I didn’t hesitate in choosing St Petersburg. Today what excites me about the city is the growing underground art and music scene, the hedonistic atmosphere and the sense that great things are once again happening here. The city has emerged from Moscow’s shadow and will, I hope, show you a very different side to modern Russia“. For Tripadvisor St.Petersburg will be one of the top 25 world destination in 2016.
TOP FIVE THINGS TO SEE IN ST.PETERSBURG:
- Winter Palace and Hermitage
- Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
- Nevsky Prospect
- Palace Square
- Palace Bridge
BEST PLACES TO STAY:
- Hotel Park Krestovskiy. Simple *** hotel which represents the best solution for who want to stay close to tennis action. A double room costs 57€ per night and the breakfast is included. Great value for money.
- Pushka Inn Hotel. Really incredible **** hotel just 1 minute walking from Palace Square, rated 9.5 on Booking. A simple standard double room is already wonderfully furnished. Prices? From 117€ per night breakfast included.
- Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St.Petersburg. Once in a lifetime luxurious ***** hotel in the heart of Old Town. Rated 9.4 on Booking, this hotel offers rooms inspired to russian imperial style. A 40 mq2 superior double room costs 279€ without breakfast (40€ more).