Cincinnati, nicknamed Cincy, is one of the most important town of Ohio togheter with rival Cleveland. It was always an important town for business (infact some major corporations like Procter & Gamble, Macy’s and The Kroger Company have their head offices here) and for sports but since 2012, when Lonely Planet picked up Cincy as one of the top Us travel destinations, it became an important touristic center. For LP writers thare are at least five good reason to visit this town:
- Goetta. It’s an herb-spiced, pork and oats breakfast sausage that you can found only in Cincinnati.
- Art mobs. Flash artistic mobs are very frequent in Cincy, the most famous of these was The Splash Dance, where a crowd appeared and busted synchronized moves of Fountain Square.
- Beer tunnels. Cincinnati is one of the most european american cities and in 19th century welcomed especially german immigrants. Infact in that period was a beer drinker’s paradise with almost 1800 saloons. Today there is the possibility to visit the old lagering cellars beneath the historic Over-The-Rhine district.
- Neon. Cincy can be considered a mini-Vegas because it is illuminated by a myriad of neon lights especially the ones of the unmissable American Sign Museum.
- Ventriloquist Museum. This is for sure one of the most original museum of the world in which are collected over 700 dolls from over the world. This musem is in Cincinnati area, nearby Fort Mitchell, Kentucky.
But the sixth (and for us main) reason to visit Cincy from 14th to 21st August is the new edition of W & S Open Cincinnati that from many years is one of the most important tennis tournament of the world, which belong to MASTER 1000 SERIES CIRCUIT and where the best players will challenge to gain the prestigious trophy and 1000 ATP points reserved for the final winners. Who will succeed Roger Federer (this year not present for an injury) and Serena Williams?
The tournament will be held, as usual, on outdoor hard courts of Lindner Family Tennis Center located in Mason. The easiest way to get in is by car so i suggest to renting one on http://www.enterprise.com. There is also a special discount that you can use. Code is GCAM382.
As regards as main attractions of Cincy for me is not possible to miss:
- A walk and a night photo session of ROEBLING SUSPENSION BRIDGE:
- Have an appetizer and attend a concert in FOUNTAIN SQUARE:
- Lose yourself in SMALE RIVERFRONT PARK
In Cincinnati the offer of accomodations is not so wide but this increases if you consider to take a room some minutes drive from downtown.
My Best hotels for categories are:
- BUDGET – BEST WESTERN CLERMONT. 89€ with full continental breakfast included. 17 minute drive to city center. Great value for money with outdoor pool and free wi-fi.
- BUSINESS – HOLIDAY INN CINCINNATI EASTGATE. 125€ breakfast and wi-fi included. Large room of 30 mq2. Outdoor pool and restaurant available. Located at Summerside just 20 minute drive to city center.
- LUXURIOUS – HILTON CINCINNATI NETHERLAND PLAZA. Fantastic 5 stars hotel located in the hearth of Cincy just across Fountain Square. Rates for a double room starts from 205€ without breakfast. Wi-fi is free just in common areas.
USEFUL LINKS FOR YOUR VISIT: