After the victory of the French David Guetz in 2015 edition, also this year the prestigious Ajaccio Open returns from 25 to 31 July with a money prize of 25,000 USD + hospitality. Good are the names of the players which are expected to participate, so the quality of the show should be assured. The favourite of the tournament appears to be Serbian player Marko Tepevac able to win this year already Narshi challenger and other 4 itf events. There will be many French players who will try to snatch victory to the Serbian talent, including Maxime Hamou, Hugo Nys, Laurent Lokoli, Gianni Mina and especially Calvin Hemery. Possible outsiders are Niels Deisen and Tomas Lipovsek Puches.
As usual, tournament will take place on hard courts of Mezzavia Tennis Club on Route de Stiletto in an industrial quarter of Ajaccio. The club is quite far from old city so If you don’t have car you need to take a taxi. In the vicinity of the club there is the italian restaurant A L’improviste where you can eat pretty well at reasonable price.
Ajaccio (with Bastia) is the main city of Corsica, and it’s served by Napoleon Bonaparte international airport linked especially with Paris and main French cities, but during summer the number of flights (from/to other european cities) is usually increased to face the massive tourists’ arrival. On skyscanner you can try to find your flight at the better possible price. From Italy is possible to come to Ajaccio by boat with Corsica Ferries which connect Livorno and Savona. The port is at the hearth of city.
Ajaccio offers a wide range of hotels. Family or business, two stars or luxury 5 stars boutique hotels, you have only to make the right choice for you. Here is my short list:
- 3 stars Hotel Fesch is the official hotel of the tournament. It’s far just 500 mt from club. The room are cute, but quite small and the rate (113€ per night for double room) doesn’t include breakfast. I suggest this hotel only if you want to….know tennis players!
- Great value for money would be to sleep at Ibis Budget Ajaccio.This is not very central (3 km) and so could be the right solution for who are going to run the car in Corsica. The modern simple rooms are available at about 80€ per night.
- Instead, if you think that for holidays you need something special, a great idea could be 4 stars hotel Best Western Ajaccio Amirautè. Completely renewed in 2015, it has modern designed rooms with quite large spaces, a very nice outdoor pool, a 24/24 bar and a restaurant. Breakfast isn’t so good but don’t worry…..it’s not included in the standard rate room which starts from 149€.
- At 19 km from old town there is the terrific Radisson Blu Resort & Spa which rises on Agosta beach. Rooms (available from 229€ breakfast included) are large, modernly furnished, with extra large sized beds and a lot of comforts. Hotel guests have free access to a private beach.
Enter here to look for your ideal accomodation in Ajaccio.
Main attractions in Ajaccio old town are:
- Maison Bonaparte. The most famous of Ajacciens was born in Ajaccio in 1769, and its ancestral home, the Maison Bonaparte, is now a museum. It hosts memorabilia of the emperor and his siblings, including a glass medallion containing a lock of his hair. A comprehensive audioguide (included in 7€ admission price for adults) is available in several languages. Opened everyday (except Monday) from 10:30 to 12:30 and from 13:15 to 18:00.
- The Citadel. It’s an imposing military fortress overlooking the sea. Built in 15th century it still belongs to the army and is off limits to the general public.
The Bloody Islands. You can’t think to leave Ajaccio before doing the boat exscursion to Bloody Islands. These are 4 magmatic Islands in Ajaccio bay and their name is due to incredibile red of the rocks and of the unforgettable sunsets that you can see from the coast at Punta Parata.
A bit far from Ajaccio but suggested to car-owners are the excursions to Lake Bracca and Bridal Veil Waterfall in Bocognano at about 1h40m by car.
- Capo Feno Beach
- Saint Francois Beach
- Beach Ariadne
You understand that tennis passion could be, in this case, a good excuse to visit a wonderful region which have many things to offer you.